What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Monday, December 31, 2012

Sausage Roll Casserole



My children aren't old enough to make a specific request that they want to eat for Christmas morning breakfast (unless you count Eggo waffles that the oldest would eat for EVERY meal), so I decided to choose myself.  This recipe was in Southern Living several years ago and I have been a little nervous to try it, because Sister Schubert rolls are so good just as they are.  I was worried that I would ruin a perfectly good pan of them.  But curiosity got the best of me.  This casserole was good.  I didn't taste flavors that made it taste different...just made it taste like a breakfast casserole with those yummy yeasty rolls!

My only problem was I baked in a 9x13 instead of 11x7.  The top of the casserole was a little toasted and I am sure that isn't the case in a smaller pan.

Sausage Roll Casserole

5 eggs
1 c. milk
1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1 frozen package Sister Schubert sausage rolls
1-1/2 c. shredded cheese

Whisk together first 5 ingredients until blended.  Break apart sausage rolls; cut each roll crosswise into thirds, cutting across sausage.  Layer half of rolls in a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish; sprinkle with half of cheese.  Repeat layers once.  Pour egg mixture over rolls and cheese.  Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 325.  Bake casserole 50-55 minutes or until center is set.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  

No comments: