What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Turtle Pies


This pie was the big hit of the family 4th of July that I missed this year since we were in Washington D.C. I couldn't be left out, so I had to try it out. I adapted the original recipe that my cousin Gwen used, but I will tell you her version too. This recipe made 3 pies -

1. for in-laws since they came and stayed at our house the day the A/C was being fixed

2. for our neighbors across the street who recommended the A/C company because they were fantastic



Turtle Pies

7 oz. coconut
1 c. pecans
1/2 c. butter
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
16 oz. Cool Whip
1 c. Eagle Brand milk
1 jar caramel topping
3 Oreo cookie pie crusts*

Brown coconut and pecans in melted butter in skillet. Layer half in bottom of pie crusts. Mix cream cheese, Eagle Brand, and Cool Whip in a mixing bowl. Layer half over coconut mixture and repeat layers. Refrigerate or freeze. Before serving drizzle with caramel sauce. It makes 3 pies, but if you want fuller pies, just use 2 pie shells.

*Gwen uses 9-inch deep dish pie crusts that have been baked. I'm sure that is just as great too, but I wanted a way to throw some chocolate in and not have to go the trouble of baking a pie shell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so yummy! I am going to have to try it.
Ash-