What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Happy Veteran's Day! This is a time to remember and thank all of the veterans, who have fought to make and keep this country what it is. Thanks for what you do! (If there are any veterans that read this.) The reason this day is so special to me is because when we were very little, my Grandaddy would take Tossie, Sister and I on a fun adventure.

He and Tos would pick us up and we would make our way to the Air Force Base where he worked. We would have our picture made in front of all the airplanes and act silly. Then, and I may get some of this out of order, we would have lunch at Burger King. We would go and meet his friend that had a radio program AND be on his show. You can imagine how exciting that was for us! Mom said she always listened and was so worried what we might say. I was too young to remember if anything too controversial was said. HA! We would also play at this really great park down by the river. On our way home we would stop and pick cotton. I remember picking up pecans at the church and playing on that playground with Grandaddy too, but I am not sure if that was the same day. It was so much fun! Then we all changed to a different school and didn't get the day off, so those days ended.

He started it up again when My Cousins Whose Names Start With "A" were old enough to enjoy it.

So, in honor of my Veteran Grandaddy, here's a recipe for him. If you know him, you know he loves, and I mean LOVES, homemade ice cream. I prefer the store bought myself, but every time we get together for cook-outs or he has a special occasion, my mom always makes him ice cream.

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
1 large can evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
milk

Mix first 4 ingredients in freezer container (this is using the old school freezers that require salt and ice). Add milk to fill to the top of the line. Freeze.

Maybe mom can tell us how much milk she adds to the rest of the ingredients when she makes it in the new ice cream freezer. Do the containers make the same amount? It seems a little smaller to me, but it might not be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also rode the trolley and took in some of the downtown sights like the Capitol, Archives and History Building, First White House of the Confederacy (I may walk over for old times sake if they are open), Hank Williams grave, and Old Alabama Town. I have already reminiced this morning and laughed to myself thinking that each year, I was only a block from where I work now.

-Tossie

Anonymous said...

Sister and MOTC were at Dothan yesterday and we reminiced too because there were alot of cotton fields down that way. How wonderful are the simple things in life. "Happiness doesn't depend on how much you have to enjoy but on how much you enjoy what you have." MOTC

Anonymous said...

PS What new ice cream freezer? The last time I made ice cream I was wondering just how old my freezer was! MOTC

Diana said...

I'm talking about the ice cream freezer that you have that is small and doesn't need ice and salt. You store the container in the freezer until you are ready to make ice cream. DUH!

Anonymous said...

That is the healthy ice cream freezer. 1 small can of evaporated milk, 14 pkgs of Equal, 1/2 tsp vanilla , fat free milk until it equals 2 cups. Eating half of it is only about 170 calories. Guilt free homemade ice cream!!! G-DADDY likes this version but he prefers the other. MOTC