What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cornmeal Breakfast Biscuits




This past weekend, we took our turn to provide breakfast for our Sunday school class.  I was on a muffin kick, so I decided to take a sweet muffin and a savory muffin.  These were delicious.  They were also easy, but pretty involved.  Don't plan to just whip these up, because working with the sticky dough wasn't very fast for me.

Cornmeal Breakfast Biscuits
makes 1 dozen

1 Tbsp. butter
3 large eggs, beaten
1 c. cooked sausage, crumbled
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 c. self-rising flour
1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. butter, cold
1-1/4 c. milk
melted butter

Preheat oven to 450.  Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan. 

In a medium skillet, melt 1 Tbsp. of butter over medium heat.  Add eggs, cook stirring frequently, until eggs are firm.  Remove from heat; add cooked sausage, cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is combined.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and cornmeal.  Using a pastry blender (or your hands), cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Gradually add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.  Spoon about 2 Tbsp. biscuit dough into each muffin cup, pressing dough into bottom and up the sides.  (I put flour on my fingers to help make handling the dough easier.)  Spoon sausage filling evenly over biscuits.  Top with remaining biscuit dough, pressing to seal the edges.  Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Brush with melted butter.  Let cool in pans 5 minutes.  Serve warm.

**I took a risk making these because I don't always think reheated biscuits taste very good.  But I didn't want to get up at the crack of dawn, so after I baked them the night before I let them cool completely without brushing them with butter.  I covered them tightly and placed in refrigerator.  The next morning I took them out of the fridge and then brushed them with melted butter.  Re-covered them with foil and reheated them in a 300 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until warmed through.  They didn't dry out at all as I was worried about.

No comments: