What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Crumbed Chicken Casserole

We had our supper club over to our house this afternoon, and it was so much fun! Several asked about this recipe, so I told them that I would post it. In addition to the casserole, we had Lady's Green Beans, grape salad, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese (Delicious! and was made by someone who NEVER made homemade before...she did good!), fried corn that The Dish Washer made, breads galore, and two chocolate cakes! I had every intention of taking pictures to post with the recipe, but completely forgot.

My mom has made this particular recipe for as long as I can remember. The smell of it cooking in my house reminds me of the many times that we ate it. It's very easy and quick! I'm going to post the original recipe that she uses, but I make some changes to mine.

Crumbed Chicken Casserole

1 bag Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 can mushroom soup
1-1/2 c. chicken stock
1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms and juice
3-1/2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1/2 c. onion, chopped and sauteed
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
pepper to taste

Stir melted butter into stuffing mix. Line a greased 9x13 baking dish with half of the crumbs. Combine all other ingreadients and pour over crumbs. Top with other half of crumbs. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

I don't add the extra mushroom pieces, so I add a little more chicken stock than called for to make up for juice omitted. If your chicken mixture seems too thick, just keep adding stock. You don't want it too soupy but it need to be a little runny to soak into the stuffing mix.

The dishes are in the dishwasher and I am ready for my Sunday afternoon nap!

No comments: