What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Crockpot Jambalaya



"Goodbye Joe, me gotta go..."  Do you always think of Steel Magnolias when you hear that song?  It is my very most favorite movie and I always do.  I thought this turned out pretty good and SUPER easy.  I've learned this is a Creole jambalaya since it uses tomatoes.  I read where the other jambalaya version is Cajun and seems a little more dry than this soupy-er variety.  The Dish Washer said it wasn't spicy enough for him, but I don't like too spicy so it was just right for me.  We compromised by giving him a bottle of hot sauce to dump on his until he got it where he liked it.  I've really been trying to use the crockpot more, especially for Sunday lunch after church.  Such a smart invention!

Crockpot Jambalaya

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (good size), diced
1 lb. andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. creole seasoning (Tony Chachere)
1 tsp. hot sauce
2 bay leaves
2 c. cooked rice

In crockpot, combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, celery, broth, oregano, creole seasoning, hot sauce and bay leaves.  Stir all together.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Stir in cooked rice just before serving to warm through.  Or spoon over rice, whichever you prefer.

Had we not eaten King's Hawaiian French Toast this morning, I would have served some bread alongside.

**Also, my jambalaya is shrimp-less since I don't care for shrimp.  If you'd like to include shrimp, add 1 lb. of peeled and cooked shrimp with the rice at the end to warm through.

No comments: