What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mall Cookie Cake Knockoff


Somebody has a birthday in our house tomorrow and I can hardly believe he is already 2 years old!  I wanted to get him a cookie cake for his birthday, but I didn't love the $30+ price tag that came with it.  So weeks ago I began searching for a good cookie cake recipe I could make that would be similar to those yummy mall cakes!  I found the perfect one to try from one of my favorite websites, Southern Plate.  You can find her original post about the cake here.  Here's what she suggests:

Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough (16.5 oz. each)
Karo syrup (1/4 cup per 16.5 oz. dough)
Chocolate icing
White icing

I used canned icings just to make life much easier and even used the chocolate she suggested, but I promise that while it is good, it tastes NOTHING like GACC's icing.  Just know you will barely use much of either.

I didn't need a big cookie, so I opted to just use one roll of dough and baked it in a 10 inch tart pan because that is all I had that was round and a little bigger than regular round cake pans.  It surprised me how much it puffed up while baking and I thought it was going to be all wrong, but when the buzzer finally went off, it had flattened down just fine.

Mall Cookie Cake Knockoff

1 (16.5 oz.) roll refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 can chocolate icing
1 can white icing

In a mixing bowl, combine cookie dough and corn syrup until well incorporated.  Place in a greased baking pan and use damp hands to pat down until flat.  Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25-35 minutes depending on your pan size and how much cookie dough you use.  Allow to cool completely before icing.

--

It is definitely homemade looking and I will update on how it tastes once we cut into that bad boy.  I'm sure for much less than $10 it will taste GREAT!!  :)

--

Update:  It turned out great!  A little greasy feeling on the bottom, but hits the spot.  I used Betty Crocker whipped fluffy white.

1 comment:

deese said...

You did a great job!