What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brunswick Stew


When I lived with The Dish Washer's Granny, we had a major routine going. I would come in from work and we would get ready for supper. She usually overworked herself and made sure she cooked something for me that was ready when I got home, but sometimes I would insist on cooking so she wouldn't have to. We would get our TV trays ready and make our way into the den to eat supper. Every night we took turns saying the blessing (and she never forgot whose turn it was) and then we would watch Jeopardy while we ate. The two of us together would have made a very good team on that show!

After dinner, I would clean up the kitchen, take out the trash, water her outside plants and then it would be on to our other evening rituals...Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor, Diagnosis Murder are a few we never missed! She loved those shows! We'd sometimes be off to bed by 9:00.

While we were watching TV in the evenings, I went through every recipe she had in that house. It was a long process because she had drawers and drawers of them. Some I had seen before and some I had not. This is her best friend's recipe for Brunswick Stew. It's another "dump" recipe - those are so easy.

Brunswick Stew

1 lb. ground beef, browned with large onion
2 cans Castleberry BBQ pork
2 cans Swanson chicken
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans creamed white corn
1 small bottle Hot ketchup (regular will work too with dashes of hot sauce to taste)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix and simmer 45 minutes.

Tomorrow is Black-Eyed Pea Gumbo. Very, very, very good!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is such a cute story. I can't believe granny like The Bachelor. That cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

I love this one!!