What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Oriental Slaw


We had our big family cook-out yesterday! As promised, I took lots of pictures of food. I love taking pictures in mom's kitchen because she has great light. My kitchen seems so dark sometimes when I take pictures. We had lots and lots of good food. The "main event" is always the ribs. There is so much that my Granddaddy puts into those ribs (and Grandmama into the sauce!) that it isn't re-creatable! It's one of those "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" things! We also had Goody Girl Championship potatoes, corn salad, the above pictured slaw made by Tossie, s'mores bars, Sister's blueberry stack cake (modified version), baked beans (not these, but store bought), and lots and lots of buttered rolls. Go big or go home!

I'm not sure Tossie's exact recipe. It is very similar to the one that I make, but I know she put soy sauce in this one, so some of the other ingredients may be a little different too. As you can see in the picture, it was very good. Here's my recipe and I will post her's later if she will send it to me.

Oriental Slaw

2 bags Angel hair slaw
6 green onions
2 (3 oz.) pkgs. ramen noodles with seasoning packets (I've used beef or chicken)
1 (6 oz.) pkg. slivered almonds
1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt

Open bags of slaw and place in mixing bowl. Slice the onions and put in with slaw to combine. Crumble the noodles into a broiler pan, add almonds and broil for 2 minutes, being careful not to burn. Combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, and salt with the contents of the seasoning packets. Pour dressing over the slaw and mix. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes prior to serving.

--

We also did something VERY FUN! You'll have to wait until Christmas time to find out what that was!

No comments: