What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Tater Tot Casserole

Well, we had a great time with The Under 6 Crowd this weekend! They were very good for us and even slept until 8:00 every morning! I told their mama that they could stay here everyday if they would do that. We had to come up with a lot of entertainment, so we did fun things like Jump Zone, movie and popcorn, hiking up our backyard woods, and making homemade goodies in the kitchen. They were very good helpers and wanted to put their aprons on and bake stuff all weekend long. We made homemade chocolate chips cookies (recipe from the back of Nestle chocolate chips), 1-Pan Brownies (my mother in law's recipe) and blueberry muffins (from Martha White!). There was lots of bowl and finger licking!




I made it real fun and let them do all the work. They did all the cookie dropping and I baked them that way.


This dish was a big hit for The Under 6 Crowd. It is a recipe that my friend's mother (the friend that really likes to eat Jiffy corn muffins with me!) made for us one night when we were still in high school and I think the two of us ate the whole thing ourselves. I called her the other night for the recipe. She very willingly shared!

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded cheddar cheese
1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen tater tots

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Mix in mushroom soup and drained corn. Put meat mixture in 9x13 baking dish. Top with cheese. Arrange tater tots on top. Bake in oven for 350 or 375 until tater tots are golden. (I did 375 for 30 minutes.)

We ate it as leftovers a couple of times and even put some ketchup on top. Very good with ketchup, too!

--

Round 2 is on their way now, so I am off to make Chicken and Biscuit Dumplings. I'll post that one later. I just love lots of company!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet those were the best cookies ever! Sounds like y'all made some good memories! MOTC

Amanda said...

Diana, your cooking looks fabulous. Please come stay with me and teach me how! I have SO much to learn!

Christina said...

Hi Diana! This is Jay Todd's wife, Christina. Lindsey Blackman passed on your blog to me, and I am SO glad she did!! You sound like you are incredible in the kitchen! I can't wait to try some of your recipes. Hope you guys are doing well! Happy new year! Christina

Anonymous said...

I love that you baked the cookies just how they had placed them. I probably would have wanted to move them, but I think it is better to show them that what they did was just right. I have learned a mommy lesson. Thanks Diana.
I also made your sausage dip for the boys bday party this weekend. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Diana,
This is such a great site! It was so good to see you last weekend and have you teach Amy how to use her Gourmet Cupcake Maker Santa brought her. Can't wait to try some of these dishes! Love ya!