What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Pork Green Chili


When The Dish Washer and I went to Fort Worth, we had the best Pork and Hatch Green Chili at The Lonesome Dove. I've been looking and looking for a recipe that I thought was similar and found one. I made a few changes, and even though it isn't exactly what we had (not even close because his was incredibly good!), it is YYYYUUUUUMMMMMMMMMYYYYYY! I made the first batch Monday night and The Dish Washer just went on and on about it. It was such a big hit that when I was at the grocery store last night, I bought the ingredients again. I went home and made another pot of it and put it in the freezer.

It does have a kick to it, so you pregnant gals may want to watch out for that. You can add as much of the ingredients to it as you would like. This is a fun food reminder of that trip as well as our honeymoon in Santa Fe. Out there in New Mexico, they simply ask "red or green?" (Meaning color of pepper.) I always go green! Green seems milder to me than red. In fact, one day I will have to tell you about the best Huevos Rancheros we had on our honeymoon.

Pork Green Chili

1-1/2 pound ground pork
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 (4.5 oz.) cans of green chiles, drained
2 Tbsp. chopped jalapeno peppers (more or less depending on your heat level)
1/4 c. tomato sauce
2 c. water
garlic powder to taste

In a large pot, heat olive oil and add chopped onion. Cook until tender. Add in ground pork and brown. Once pork is completely cooked, add in the flour and stir well. Add chiles, jalapeno peppers and tomato sauce and combine. Once combined, gradually stir in water. Season to taste with garlic powder. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

--

This would be fun to make in a dutch oven...maybe I will go get one with Christmas money.

--

You won't hear from me for a while. We have two little ones coming to stay the weekend with us while their mama and daddy enjoy some time away cheering on our favorite team. Wish us luck (with the kids - not the game)! I am already planning to make homemade chocolate chip cookies with them one day for "entertainment." My friend also shared her best dish...Tater Tot Casserole. I will post it later!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

No comments: