What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cheeseburger Pie


Isn't my begonia pretty? It was a birthday gift to me from my in laws. I have big plans for her on our porch soon, but I'm keeping her on the table until after Easter. Last night I was trying to find something to cook with hamburger meat. The Dish Washer wanted a meatloaf, but I wanted something quicker to prepare. I turned to my cookbook that highlights all things Alabama (Alabama Rich in Flavor by Katherine Helms) and found a recipe for Cheeseburger Pie. I decided to make it, but it is VERY different because I didn't include the "pie." I also didn't have dried oregano, which was one of the ingredients called for. That was certainly motivation to change things up. Here is a slice...

Here's what I did...

Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 palm full of McCormick's Steak Seasoning
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 c. Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. milk

Brown the beef and onion together, drain. Add steak seasoning, tomato sauce, bread crumbs. Place in a greased pie plate. Combine the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cheese and milk. Spread over the meat mixture. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes.

**If you wanted to cook in pie shell, use 9-inch deep dish unbaked pie shell. Same directions. This holds its shape very well without a pie shell.

No comments: