What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Homemade Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Today I gave blood for the first time in 9 years! I am ashamed to admit that, but I had such a terrible first experience at my high school's blood drive...I just couldn't shake it. It isn't the fear of needles, it was the fear of getting sick again. But now, The Chicken Farmer (my brother-in-law) is in need of surgery to repair a heart valve. I would do absolutely anything for him, so today was the day to face those fears of getting sick again and donate blood to be used for his surgery. There is something very special to me about him finally becoming my "blood."


The best news is I didn't get sick at all. So now I have overcome that fear and can become a regular blood donor (which is what I've always wanted to be.) In honor of my experience, mom suggested a post to commemorate the day...she suggested something called Blood Pudding. It was very thoughtful of her, but boy did that recipe GROSS ME OUT! I will go with her MUCH milder suggestion of Red Velvet Cake. This recipe is my grandmother's. She used to always make it for my mom's birthday because it is her favorite. She also always put coconut icing on it because that is her favorite too, but I prefer Cream Cheese Frosting now that I have taken over the tradition. Made from scratch and soooo yummy! His surgery has been pushed back just today to the day after mom's birthday, so we will have to have this for her birthday this year and to celebrate becoming "blood." I'll take a picture next time I make this cake to post.


Red Velvet Cake


1 stick butter
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 (1 oz.) bottles of red food coloring
1 c. buttermilk
2-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla


Cream butter and sugar, add eggs. Beat well, then add food coloring. Sift flour, cocoa, salt and add alternating with buttermilk. Then add vanilla. Mix vinegar and soda in a cup and stir into batter. Bake in 9-inch prepared pans for 30 minutes at 350. Allow to cool completely before icing.


Cream Cheese Frosting


1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 stick butter, softened at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar
1 small bag chopped pecans, optional


Mix all ingredients, beat until spreading consistency is good. May want to stir in pecans now to spread over cake or use pecans as a garnish.

1 comment:

MOTC said...

It is hard to believe that people actually do eat blood pudding. It did sound pretty nasty!