What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Semi-Homemade Salsa

We had another Sunday school supper club last night.  It was Nacho Night, so I signed up to bring the chips, salsa and sour cream.  I've wanted to try making my own salsa for a while now.  This recipe was really good.  Let me first say, though, that I can't stand the taste of cilantro.  If I never tasted it again, I would not be disappointed.  Even in the smallest amount, it still has such a strong flavor to me.  But I know most people associate cilantro with Mexican food, so I felt I had to put it in.  If I was making this just for myself, I wouldn't have added it.  Ignoring the cilantro, this was delicious.  Very similar to restaurants.  Be warned, it makes a huge batch!  Even after feeding 15 or so, there was leftover.  I'm going to try to freeze it and see how that works.

Semi-Homemade Salsa

1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes with juice
2 cans Rotel
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 c. cilantro (more to taste)
1/2 lime, juice only

If using a smaller food processor than 12 cups, pulse in batches and then mix it all together.

Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice and cilantro in a blender or food processor.  Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you like.  I don't like mine too chunky, so I did probably 20 pulses.  Test seasoning with tortilla chip and adjust seasoning as needed.  Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. 

No comments: