What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fresh Tomato Tart on Black Pepper Cornbread Crust



The theme for my recent posts, in case you can't tell, has been fresh vegetables.  We are lucky to be on the receiving end of both our families' gardens.  They pretty much all grow the same things...and LOTS OF IT!!  I've already put plenty of okra, squash, zuchinni, peas, and eggplant up in the freezer.  I NEED A DEEP FREEZE!!!!  

I've never just loved eating big pieces of tomato, but I decided to give it more of a try with new recipes.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll be eating tomato sandwiches really soon!  This recipe sounded delicious the moment I read it.  I changed up my baking dish and cooked it in a real tart pan because I wanted it to be pretty.  I'm going to share the recipe using the original baking dish of a 9x13 pan.  Also, I didn't have bacon on this one.  But at The Dish Washer's suggestion, bacon will be added next time.  I think it will be great!  

Fresh Tomato Tart on Black Pepper Cornbread Crust

Crust:
1 large egg
1/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. cornbread mix (I use Sunflower brand)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Filling:
3-4 medium tomatoes
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. mayo
1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
breadcrumbs (Panko would be best but any kind will work)

Heat oven to 425.  Generously spray 9x13 baking pan with no stick spray.  Whisk together egg, sour cream and milk in a medium bowl.  Whisk in cornbread mix and pepper until smooth.  Stir in olive oil just until blended.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Crust will be thin.  (The browner the better.)

Cut tomatoes in the size slice you prefer.  Place slices on paper towel to allow them to drain.  Stir together cheese, mayo, basil and chives until combined.

Spread about half of cheese mixture onto cornbread crust.  Arrange tomatoes on top of crust.  Overlapping if needed.  Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper and crumbled bacon.  Spoon remaining filling on top of tomatoes.  Sprinkle with a tiny amount of breadcrumbs for browning.

Return tart to oven for 5 minutes at 425 or until cheese begins to melt.  Then turn on the broiler and broil until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.  About 1-2 minutes.   But don't walk away from it in the broiler.  Cut into squares.  Serve warm.

No comments: