What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Friday, July 8, 2011

Boston, Mass

We just returned from spending the 4th of July in Boston.  It was a great trip, obviously rich in history.  We watched the All American game of baseball at Fenway Park, watched the fireworks from the great view of our hotel room and definitely ate our way around town.  The scale can prove it.  Yikes.  I made a pact with myself that this was going to be a no french fry trip.  I usually order now what I know The Bun will eat with me, so I wanted to take advantage of this adult only trip and eat everything but french fries!!  Any other mamas know what I'm talking about?

If you find yourself in Boston, I can highly recommend all of these places:

Charley's
This was a great neighborhood restaurant close to our hotel.  It was our first lunch in town.  Our waiter was the epitome of "Bahstan" so it was a fun welcome.  We didn't go far enough around the corner to see all of the outdoor seating and were seated inside, but be sure to dine alfresco.  It was definitely a pretty happening place to be.

Antico Forno
There are two main streets in Boston's "Little Italy" where literally every door is an Italian restaurant.  The smell is incredible.  We chose Antico Forno, which is known for their wood fire brick oven.  Everyone's dish looked great and mine was very delicious.  I had the potato gnocchi in a plum tomato sauce.  It was piping hot from the oven, but my first try of gnocchi didn't disappoint.

The Friendly Toast
The Friendly Toast is in Cambridge close to the campus of MIT.  It has retro 50s decor, college prices and HUGE portions.  I ordered a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on their housemade anadama bread.  It was made with cornmeal and I believe some maple syrup?  I couldn't taste those things after it was slathered in butter and toasted, but it sure was good.  I should have just ordered ONE pancake.

Del Frisco's
This is a chain steakhouse, but it is one of The Dish Washer's favorite.  They always go to the Ft. Worth location when he is there for business.  This restaurant is new to Boston and has incredible views overlooking the Harbor.  The horseshoe shaped booth in the picture on their site was actually where we sat.  I'd say it was the best seat in the house.  We got lucky.

Bleacher Bar
What a place to be!!!  Bleacher Bar is on field level underneath the bleachers of Fenway Park.  On game days, a garage door opens to watch the activity on the field.  At a certain time before games, the door is lowered where people in the bar can see out but players can't see in.  It was pretty awesome.  It is mostly a menu of sandwiches and chips.  Other bar food regulars are there, as well.  I ordered the chicken salad sandwich which was really good.  The Dish Washer ordered a club sandwich and I believe it was the biggest club sandwich I've ever seen.  Definitely could be shared!  If you plan to go on a gameday, get there EARLY.  We were there by 11:00am and the place was already full with a wait.  About 10 minutes after we arrived, it went from full to literally packed. 

Atlantic Fish Company
Incredible.  And you know I am just now starting to branch out with my seafood eating.  This was delicious.  The service was fantastic.  I ordered the Lobster Ravioli in a basil cream sauce.  Mmmmm.  The Dish Washer had Blackened Grouper with bacon, shrimp and corn chowder.  Our cousins traveled with us and, if mixed drinks are your thing, the Sangria came highly recommended.  She said she could have dunked her head in it because it was so good!  :)

--

The only thing I am disappointed in is that I didn't have a slice of Boston Cream Pie.  I don't believe I have ever had it.  It was first made in Boston at the Parker House Hotel...also home to the Parker House rolls.  Sister Schubert has a lot to be thankful for.  The story (from the tour guides, so who knows how much of it is true) goes like this:  FDR stayed at the hotel and loved the rolls so much he asked for the recipe.  The hotel said no, the recipe is top secret.  He sent secret service to try to find out the recipe, but they were caught sneaking around the kitchen and again told that the recipe was top secret.  Then FDR decided to make it the official "Presidential Bread" which required the recipe be public knowledge.  Oh, and Ho Chi Minh was a baker at the hotel and Malcolm X a busboy...that's for sure true. 

1 comment:

Tossie said...

I love Boston!!! Add Legal Seafood (www.legalseafood.com). Although they are becoming a chain, they originated in Cambridge and they have great lobstah. Another great place is Sam La Grassa's (www.samlagrassas.com) which is a hole in the wall deli on Province Street and their cornbeef sandwich is to die for.
BTW, I've been in the locker room and walked on the field at Fenway. Just thought I'd throw that out there :)