What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Monday, February 16, 2009

Granny's Cut Out Cookies

We have had quite the eventful weekend, so we are just now celebrating Valentine's Day tonight. I asked The Dish Washer what he wanted to eat and he said Cajun Meatloaf. He is all about beef and pork, so along with the meatloaf I made a different type of baked beans that included sausage (I'll post that tomorrow) and then I made him his favorite cookies...better known as "steak cookies" for tonight.



Isn't that the cutest thing? The Dish Washer brought me this precious cookie cutter last month from a Cattleman's Convention in the state to our north.

I've mentioned these cookies before. They are his absolute favorite and were made every year by his Granny Miller. She had a talent for rolling cookie dough and could get her's paper thin so that they were very crunchy little things. I, on the other hand, am terrible at rolling cookie dough, but The Dish Washer said that was ok since I was "learning." Isn't he the best Valentine? I had made the dough a while back and put it in the freezer. It freezes very well! Then I just let it sit out on the counter a little while and it was ready to roll.

Granny's Cut Out Cookies

3-1/2 c. plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Sift flour with baking powder and salt.

1 c. oleo (Crisco)
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

Cream oleo; add sugar gradually and continue to beat. Add well beaten eggs and blend thoroughly. Add vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and creamed mixture; mix well and chill. Work with about 1/2 mixture at a time. Roll thin and cut. Bake at 400 for 6-10 minutes.

--

For any of you readers who stayed at the hotel for our wedding, this is the recipe used for the cookies in your goody baskets. My mother in law made them for you...she's also good at getting the dough thin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time you are around your mother in law get her to teach you the dough rolling technique. If you will be carrying on the tradition then she will help you learn! Since you can freze the dough, you can have some ready and waiting. I loved your presentation!