What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Reuben Casserole

Since The Dish Washer is pulling our team along in Georgia this weekend, I "south bound and down" my way home! It's good to be here! I hijacked My Buddy and he spent the night with us. We were in bed by 9:00 and up at the crack of dawn (although I admit I did snooze a little longer once I knew Deese was up). That boy is obsessed with pirates so we spent the morning on the pirate ship (aka the deck) heaving and hoeing our sail, swimming with the crocodiles (Uncle Dish Washer will be glad he wasn't here for that!), and fighting off the pirates who were trying to come on board. On my way in yesterday, I stopped at the grocery store because I wanted to make this recipe this weekend. Sister turns the big 3-0 on the big 3-0!! She loves Reuben sandwiches and I've had my eye on this recipe for her a while. Sadly, the grocery store didn't have everything I needed...apparently they don't like party rye around here. They had everything that I needed though to make Corn Salad. Mom helped me take a picture of it...I just love her bowl! Sister, here is what I would have made you! Happy Early Birthday!! We're getting old!! I'll make this next time you are in my neck of the woods.

Reuben Casserole

1 (16 oz.) bag or 1 (14 - 16 oz.) can or jar sauerkraut
1/3 c. Thousand Island dressing
12 oz. corned beef lunch meat, thinly sliced
1 (8 oz.) pkg. Swiss cheese slices
About 1/2 loaf party rye bread slices
1 tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, with fork, stir sauerkraut with its liquids and Thousand Island dressing; top with corned beef slices. Bake 15 minutes, until bubbly hot. Remove dish from oven. Place cheese slices on top of meat in a single layer; top with bread slices. Lightly brush bread with butter. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until bread is crisp. Makes 8 servings.
**I used sandwich sliced corn beef and placed in layers which made it very hard to cut into. I think it may work better to use canned corned beef or chop the meat up before layering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT!!!!!! Thanks for thinking of me :)