What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cajun Chicken



Well, I couldn't have given The Dish Washer a better birthday present if I tried. That would be what I have heard some TV folks referring to as The Night When the Lights Went Out in Georgia! I am so glad he was able to be there...although he couldn't enjoy himself too much since he was there with a Dawg. He's never the type to rub anything in, because he hates when people do that to him! We've had a good afternoon of celebrating a day that he hates to celebrate. Tonight for dinner we had a new recipe called Cajun Chicken, squash casserole, and a VERY modified (as sugarless as I could get it) version of Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding. The picture seems blurry to me.
I have to tell a story about the dish the pudding is in. Granny Miller's famous peach cobbler was always baked in a dish just like this one - except much larger. I found this dish at an antique mall in Pell City one afternoon when I was visiting a patient. I just had to get it and I think it is so cute since it is a mini version. It has become The Dish Washer's birthday dish. Last year his mom made peach cobbler for him in this dish, but we didn't get to see them for the birthday this year so I decided to go ahead and make the banana pudding.


Cajun Chicken

chicken for grilling (we used chicken breasts)
1/2 c. vinegar (I used Balsamic)
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. melted butter
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

Bring vinegar, lemon juice and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Allow to cool. Use this as a baste for your meat while grilling. Liberally sprinkle with seasoning about 2 minutes before chicken is done.

This was very good - The Dish Washer was very liberal with his "sprinkling" so our chicken certainly had a kick. If you don't like much of a kick, you may want to hold back a little.

--
I also made Cheeseburger Meatloaf last week. I didn't have any cheddar cheese so I decided to use Pepper jack and it was very good!

No comments: