What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sausage and Egg Casserole



Today, we held a breakfast at our office to say goodbye to two of our coworkers who are leaving us this week. You know me, I always love FOOD days! This recipe is courtesy of Jim, whom I share an office with, and his wife, whom I asked permission to be able to share this. (THANKS SO MUCH, if should ever read this blog)!! I could hardly wait to get home to share it with you!! It was absolutely delicious and my favorite thing there. I have never had one like this! This is the recipe just as she sent it over to Jim via email with all of her notes about the recipe. I kid you not, I ate one of my co-worker's leftovers after she scooped it onto my plate. I'm really surprised I am not 500 pounds!!

--

SAUSAGE & EGG CASSEROLE
JANICE CLIFFORD

(SERVES 8 TO 12 DEPENDING ON SIZE OF SERVING)

10 SLICES OF WHITE BREAD (CRUSTS REMOVED AND CUT IN MEDIUM SIZE CUBES)
3 CUPS GRATED SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE
1 LB SAUSAGE (BROWNED AND DRAINED) I PREFER HOT SAUSAGE
1 JAR SLICED MUSHROOMS (DRAINED) AND ADDED TO SAUSAGE
1 CUP MILK
8 EGGS
1/2 TEASPOON DRY MUSTARD (I MAKE IT WITH & WITHOUT--IT ADDS A ZIP)
1 CAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
1/2 SOUP CAN OF MILK
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE

MAKE AT LEAST THE NIGHT BEFORE SERVING. GREASE 9 X 14 PYREX DISH (I SPRAY WITH PAM); LAYER WITH BREAD FIRST, THEN CHEESE & SAUSAGE; BEAT EGGS, 1 CUP MILK AND SALT, PEPPER; DRY MUSTARD; POUR EVENLY OVER TOP; COVER AND REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. BEFORE BAKING MIX CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP AND 1/2 CAN MILK AND SPREAD ON TOP (THIS CREATES ALMOST A SAWMILL GRAVY EFFECT). BAKE 40 TO 45 MINUTES AT 350.

(SOMETIMES I SAUTE ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND GREEN PEPPERS WITH THE SAUSAGE AND SERVE WITH SALSA)

I used a 9x13 baking dish and it worked just fine.
--

I have been thinking about my grandfather a lot this week (we called him CaCa...long story). My mom found a letter that he wrote to us when he was still living, so she called to read it to me. The one thing I remember the most about going to visit them was sleeping under their huge, blue sky light on the pull-out couch with Sister and hearing the jingle bells that were attached to their back door ring very early every morning. That sound meant that the next time I opened my eyes, he would be back with biscuits and sausage gravy from Jack's. This recipe, in all of its sausage gravy glory was another sweet reminder of him!

No comments: