What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Grandmama's Butternut Cake


This weekend was our family cookout and when trying to decide what to bring (I took the never fail Corn Salad, too), I made my mind up to attempt my Grandmama's Butternut Cake for the first time.  I haven't had this cake in years, but it has always been a favorite of mine that she would make.  I remember she would make it sometimes for cake walks at the church or school and I would do my best to win this cake to bring home with me!  :-)  The icing was always my favorite part!  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it at first because I couldn't find butternut flavoring anywhere, but then I finally found it at Publix and it was called "butter and nut flavor" and this was the McCormick brand.  I knew after I made it that it smelled just like I remembered it and I had hoped that it tasted the same.  I can now say after having a piece last night that it did and it even got the stamp of approval from Grandmama!  This cake is best if made 2-3 days before you plan to serve it because (and Grandmama says she doesn't know why), but the longer it sets it just does.  Who am I to argue with cake goodness, so I made this on Thursday to be eaten on Saturday.  She also NEVER put it in the fridge, which I wasn't sure about since it had cream cheese in the icing, but I've eaten it that way for years so in the fridge it did not go.  I also left it down there when we left and didn't even get a piece to bring home, trying to be good about these last few weeks to gain pregnancy weight.  I was mad at myself the whole way home and now I would really love to have a piece for breakfast!  HA!

Grandmama's Butternut Cake

1 c. Crisco shortening
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. self-rising flour
1 c. milk
2-3 tsp. butternut flavoring (butter and nut flavoring)

In mixing bowl, cream crisco, sugar and eggs on high speed for 10 minutes.  (I used my stand mixer which does things a little quicker than a hand mixer, so I did it on speed 6.)  In a separate bowl, sift together all-purpose and self-rising flours.  Also, add butternut flavoring to milk.  Slowly, alternate adding flour and milk to batter, beating 1 minute after each addition.  Bake in 3 greased and floured round cake pans at 325 for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes in pans and then allow to cool completely on wire rack.

For the icing:
1 stick butter
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 box of powdered sugar (made need additional on hand to thicken)
1 tsp. butternut flavoring
1 c. chopped pecans

Melt slowly on stovetop the butter and cream cheese together.  Beat with a spoon.  Add 1 box of powdered sugar and 1 tsp. butternut flavoring.  Add 1 c. chopped pecans and beat all together with hand mixer.  If too thin, add more powdered sugar.  (I think I may have added 1/2 c. powder sugar extra on this particular cake.)  Spread warm icing over cake, allowing to run down the sides to make it easier to ice the sides.

*Best if kept 2 days before cutting.

6 comments:

deese said...

MeeMaw said that she would pay you $50 to make her one. I have cut several pieces and put in the freezer to give her a piece every few days. She is in heaven!

Anonymous said...

Can I use vegetable oil instead?

Anonymous said...

I can't find butternut flavoring here locally, but I do have a dram of the hard candy flavoring (LorAnne?) in Vanilla Butternut. Because it is so strong, how do I substitute it in this recipe?

Unknown said...

Look for Mccormick cake batter flavoring. They changed the name from Butternut to cake batter

Anonymous said...

No, you have to use the Crisco solid.

Anonymous said...

Can you use the butter flavored Crisco?