What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sharp Cheddar Casserole


I hesitated to post this picture with the recipe, because it doesn't look very appetizing.  And let me tell you, THIS was my favorite thing from our Easter lunch and very appetizing.  This recipe is from The Dish Washer's Aunt and is in my family cookbook that I have mentioned before.  I've always read it when looking through recipes and decided now was the perfect time to give it a try.  In fact, The Dish Washer said not to make any other type of macaroni and cheese, ever, except this one.  I'd say he liked it too.  It is a macaroni and cheese with surprisingly different flavors.  Try it out for your next potluck.  It's great!

Sharp Cheddar Casserole

8 oz. large elbow macaroni (my store only had regular macaroni this time so that is what I used)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 empty soup can of milk
1 c. mayonnaise
1 (8 oz.) block sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups), shredded (I used white cheddar but you don't have to)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp. butter

Cook noodles according to package directions.  In a saute pan, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and saute onions and bell pepper until tender.  Drain noodles and add onion and pepper to noodles.  In a bowl, mix soup, milk, mayo and cheese.  Add to macaroni and mix well.  Pour into greased 2-1/2 quart dish.  Bake at 300 for 20 minutes uncovered.  Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and mix with crushed Ritz crackers.  Cover casserole with crackers and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.

No comments: