What really matters?

"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Brown Rice


Food always has a story. Saturday, my friend (and The Chicken Farmer's sister) had her first baby. A beautiful baby girl! It made me think a lot about My Buddy's Mimi, their mother who passed away from breast cancer almost three years ago. I know she would have been so proud! So, in honor of Mimi, who always seemed to have roast and brown rice on a Sunday, I proudly made this for a family get together that day. I thought I had her original recipe but I couldn't find it. This recipe was a "go with what you got" recipe and it turned out really good. Not her's, but good! The Chicken Farmer said he would tell me exactly how to make it, so maybe Sister can post that for us!  (She did.  Check out the comment section for original recipe.)

Brown Rice

1/2 stick butter
1 c. rice, uncooked
1 can beef consomme
1 can cream of onion soup
1 can filled with water

In casserole dish, melt butter in microwave. Stir in the next 4 ingredients. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 30-45 minutes longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Beef Rice" by the late Dianne M. Till "MiMi"
Till family favorite; Yummy with Roast and Gravy as she always had for us on Sundays and Chicken Farmer still requests!! She would have loved this website!!!

Serves: 6-8
1 c. raw rice (I use 1 1/4 c.)
1 c. water (I use 1 1/4 soup can)
1 can beef consomme soup- undiluted
(opt.) chopped onion and/or mushrooms
1 stick butter/oleo

Melt butter in dish. Next, add other ingredients. Bake in 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 quart casserole dish. Bake in 325 oven for 1 hour.

Anonymous said...

We had this for supper tonight. I used a small can (drained) of mushrooms and a "sprinkling" of dried onion. I did everything else like Sister. The Billboard Man and Big Sister loved it!!